If you’re in search of gifts for deployed loved ones then this post is exactly what you need! Learn what gifts your military member will love this season!
Gift Ideas for Your Deployed Loved One
The Holidays can be hard, especially when your loved one is away. Sending care packages will not only give them something to look forward, but it will also give them a little slice of Christmas and a sense of closeness, family, and traditions.
You want to make their holiday special but where do you start? What can the kids send? Here some gift ideas for deployed loved ones.
Tree in a box
What you will need:
- Strand of lights long enough to form a tree shape
- Clothespins (feel free to decorate them too!)
- Pictures to use as ornaments
- 8-10 thumbtacks (test it out to make sure you have enough)
With this idea, your loved one can string the lights in the shape of a christmas tree on the wall and decorate it with pictures of you and your family. Here is a link to an awesome blog that has instructions (with pics!) and a printable manual to send in your box.
Decorate for Christmas in a box
What you will need:
- Mini tree with non breakable ornaments
- Mini wreath
- Candy canes
- Garland (tip: popcorn & cranberry garland can be mailed in a jar so it doesn’t get crushed!)
- Fun christmas socks
- A personalized military stocking (bonus: GREAT gift and use code MOMSDONTSLEEP for 5% off!)
- Family picture in a holiday frame
- Anything that you can think of that will remind your loved one of home
If you want to help them get really decked out, send small decorations in a care package so that they can really decorate for the holidays. Anything that will remind them of home will be perfect. Send a note to Skype when he/she receives the package so the two of you (& the kiddos) can all decorate together.
Related article: The Most Unique Gifts For Your Favorite Military Spouse
Twelve Days of Christmas in a box
OR you can do a gift for every day of December as a countdown to Christmas. If your loved one follows the rules and opens each gift on the specified days, it will really give them something to look forward to. Go to the dollar store (or a store like Five Below) and get little holiday candies. Individually wrap each gift and label it with a number so they know which day to open it on. Need some ideas on what to send? This blog has great ideas for things to pack in a care package!
Cake in a jar
This idea is so cute, and a great gift for those with a sweet tooth! Easy to do and easy to mail, the mason jar keeps the cake nice and moist and will remind your loved one of all those delicious holiday desserts! Decorate the jar however you want to make it even more special!
Here is a site with step by step instructions (with pictures) and two different recipes!
Kid friendly ideas!
- Send a hug- have your child lie down on a long piece of paper, trace the upper part of their body with arms spread out. Cut it out, decorate and fold it up for a cute surprise.
- 5 reasons why I love you- have your kid tell you 5 reasons why they love the deployed person, write it down and send it with the package.
- Hug a pillow- Buy a pillow small enough to fit into a care package box, trace your childs arms and hands so that it looks like they are hugging the pillow. Write little messages on the pillow and decorate with markers.
- Draw a picture or card- kids love drawing pictures or making cards, let them get creative!
- Have them help you fill out a deployment journal for your loved one when they return!
Keep in mind; Items not allowed:
- pornographic material
- items that are restricted by the postal service
- expired items
Have a deployed spouse? Get yourself a MilSO Box! It’s a care package delivered to the ladies at home to help get them through deployments! Click here for more info! P.S. Use code MDSFRIENDS10 for 10% off!
This post may contain affiliate links for reader convenience.